Spicy Vegetable Tofu


Hullo, my Pixels!

This recipe is definitely my go-to easy peasy lunch when I'm at home. It's so quick and simple to cook, as everything is cooked in the same frying pan - less washing up to do, too (which is something I always prefer)!

INGREDIENTS
  • Half a block of Cauldron original tofu (about 200g)
  • Any type of cooking oil
  • 1 - 2 mushrooms, sliced
  • Aubergine, quartered
  • Courgette, quartered
  • Onion, diced
  • Soy sauce
  • 1/2tsp chilli, chopped
  • 1/2tsp garlic
  • 1tsp chilli powder

METHOD
1Pour about 1tbsp of oil into a frying pan on a medium heat to get the oil nice and hot. Meanwhile, measure out all of your ingredients and prepare them ready for cooking.


2. Place the tofu into the oiled pan to start cooking. I prefer to cut mine into little cubes as that's a more manageable size in the pan, as well as having more surface area to soak up the seasoning. Little triangles also work well, too, but I've noticed that these break a lot easier when stirring, compared to the cubes. Here's a super handy post which shows you several different ways to prepare tofu - I've tried them all!


3. Add in the aubergine, courgette, onion and the mushrooms, stirring after adding each vegetable. I usually add bell peppers as well, but we didn't have any in the fridge at the time. That's the good thing about this recipe, you can just add in whichever vegetables you have handy and it will still come out pretty tasty. Useful for using up leftover bits of vegetables, too.


4. Time to spice it up a bit! This is when I throw in my Very Lazy Chopped Chilli & Chopped Garlic (each pot is such a time saver) as well as some chilli powder to give it all a bit of a kick. I add in about a teaspoon of chilli powder because that's the level of heat I like it at, but my chilli tolerance is quite high, so you might want to add in a little less, or a little more, depending on what your taste buds can handle.


5. Nearly finished now, so this is when I add in the soy sauce. Personally, I enjoy quite a lashing of dark soy sauce, but it's entirely up to you how much you want to add at this point. Carry on cooking and gently stirring for about 10 - 15 minutes, or until the tofu is starting to brown.


6A. You can finish the recipe here if you want to enjoy the spicy vegetable tofu as a light lunch snack or maybe a side accompaniment to another meal.


6B. If you're looking for something extra to bulk the tofu out with to make it a proper, filling lunch, my favorite idea is to mix it in with some curry noodles. Another suggestion would be to cut a pitta bread in half to create two handy little 'pitta pockets' and then stuff them full of the tofu, to create a meal with a bit more substance.

I'd love to hear any more suggestions of how to make tofu into a great lunch time meal, or even what you thought of my thrown together lunch!

Sommer


13 comments :

  1. This actually sounds delicious! Although I'm not a fan of tofu, so I would have to switch that with another ingredient that would go, but otherwise, I will totally be trying this out!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so! I only use tofu because I'm vegetarian, it's one of the only things with a solid enough texture to use in dishes like this. Maybe using chicken or beef chunks/strips would be a good alternative to make it a meaty dish - like the kinda stuff you use in stir fries! ♥

      Delete
  2. Might have to try this! Looks really tasty

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can assure you it is pretty good, and super flexible to change around the ingredients if you want to. c: ♥

      Delete
  3. Same here, I'm still yet to try a recipe where you bake the tofu in the oven. But you're welcome and thanks! :3 ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! I am a vegetarian also so I am always on the lookout for recipes that are quick. This one looks so yummy!

    xo
    Miss Anna Rebecka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely super quick, especially as it's all cooked in the same pan. :3 ♥

      Delete
  5. This looks really freaking good, and easy, I might try cooking... haha

    xMM
    THE LAME LIP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely easy! You cook everything all in the same pan until it's done to your tastes. c: ♥

      Delete
  6. This looks so good! I've never tried cooking with tofu before but this has inspired me to branch out! I've been cooking veggie for myself at uni so I really want to try this! I'll make it my first tofu recipe! Wish me luck!
    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely wish you luck! If you don't like fried tofu, you should look up baked tofu recipes online because that gives it a completely different texture. :3 ♥

      Delete
  7. Yum! I've been vegeterian for about 5 years now and I'm slowly brining myself to love tofu more - how silly ahah! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been vegetarian since birth, but I've only been eating tofu for a few years. There's so much you can do with it! C: ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks very much for taking the time to read my post. Leave a comment and I'll make sure to get back to you! :3 ♥